Friday, November 30, 2007

Gender on a spectrum

This article in the New Statesman caught my eye.

If you want, you can read it here.

Someone asked why the article caught my eye.

This is my reply:

I try to look at the headlines from BBC and Guardian, for instance. I respect both of those institutions for what they are, but they are very mainstream. So I have The Register, New Scientist and New Statesman headlines on my Google homepage.

The Gender On A Spectrum line caught my eye. I like the idea of a spectrum - as opposed to, say, a line or a fixed point. There is probably not a crock of gold at the end of a rainbow - maybe the rainbow itself is of more value than bits of metal.

That took me into the first paragraph of the article. I too distrust the word "weird". Vaccination, flight and long distance/wireless communications are "weird". And the idea of "discomfort" as an incentive to learning - yes, I find that interesting. Maybe the start should not be "Are you sitting comfortably?"

Gender, sex, spectrum? I grew up in Ireland at a time when there was little information about sex. One of the first informed conversations I had was with a friend's mother. I must have been about 9 or 10 at the time. She had some sort of social worker role in Dublin, 20 miles away. She described to me and one or two others how she had visited a convent in Dublin where the nuns looked after pregnant girls and put their babies up for adoption. However, the convent had a large room upstairs out of the way where the nuns had accumulated a number of youngsters no one wanted - and no one knew what to do with them. These children, over 10 of them, were of indeterminate sex. They were fed, physically looked after - but no one wanted them, recognised them, or knew what to do with them.

The woman in question insisted to the nuns that she was unhappy - and demanded that she should take one of the children home for the weekend with her, to spend time with her family. He had a boys name, and to us he was a young boy - about 8 or 9. I only saw him the once, though I believe he spent more than a few weekends at home with my friends family. And I was aware that there was a bit of a 'row' going on about what was happening to the other children.

For this and other reasons, as an adult I worked with children 'on the edge' - through behaviour, abuse and other circumstances. Fortunately, being on the edge, I have only dealt with relatively small numbers - though sometime the number has gone into three figures. But I try to counter the tendency to pigeon-hole children/people. I like the idea of positioning people on a very large map of mankind.

Similary I currently look to debate as an shared exploration on a spectrum of ideas rather than on a yaa-boo posturing from set points.

Does anyone out there have anything to say?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

All well here. Girding our loins in prep for Christmas. Thanks for asking though.
By the by - "Down into the light"??

As for the article in question: Why is it that when someone tells me "this one will really blow your mind" ... it never does.

Incidentally, re: "One of the questions we ask in feminist theory is: what part of our behavior is socialized and what part is biological?" ... I think nature v nurture (or a bit of both) has (for a very long time) been one of the questions we ask when addressing human behaviour per se. It isn't a question specific to feminism.

I think the best I can say about the article "Gender on a Spectrum" is "she means well". But it's a bit old hat and though I'm in favour of where she is trying to lead her students (or where I think she's trying to lead them - we should avoid our natured or nurtured prejudices), I don't see her wishy washy method as helping them get there.

I think she means well but ...
On the other hand, wishy washy is pretty much the main deal right now and for the foreseeable future I fear.

Oliver said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Oliver said...

I drew that article to the attention of a fairly conservative newsgroup. It does probably reflect the "wishy washy" state of a lot of education rather than any cutting-edge thinking on anything else. So, fair comment.

Thanks for the other suggestion - sounds good.

Likewise I hope you and Peter have a great Christmas.

O

Anonymous said...

HI O,

Sorry, didn’t mean all. I thought you could edit the risqué bits out. Never mind.
As a matter of fact I ain’t so blasé (I know you didn’t mean it like that ;-) and my mind is more than occasionally blown (like every time I listen to the last movement of Steve Reich’s “Four Sections”).

Recently I was made to feel ashamed (mind blowing events are not always pleasant). I came across Of Masks and Mirrors, a piece by a composer new to me, Josef Alexander. It’s a wonderful chamber music piece and I was totally blown away. So taken with the music, I had to find out more about the composer. I was shocked, saddened and depressed to find few references to him online, about half a dozen, the most informative being his obituary in The New York Times.

That’s when the uncomfortable blowing my mind part happened. There are thousands of references to me on line and thousands, probably millions of people are at least aware of my existence (for what that's worth). Whereas, Josef Alexander, whose one work that I have heard, Of Masks and Mirrors, is of far more worth than all of my works put together (not false modesty, not lack of self-esteem, not looking for reassurance – that is how I felt when I heard his work) he seems hardly to be known at all. I felt ashamed. Not sensible perhaps but a good uncomfortable feeling to have. I think I felt ashamed of, or for, myself - and ashamed of our culture. All too often the cream sinks while the shit rises to the top.

A toast: To Josef Alexander – thank you Josef.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0CE0DD173CF930A35750C0A964958260"

Now that I’ve read what I’ve written here (triggered by you) I think I’ll put it on my site. Josef deserves a plug.

cheers

L

Oliver said...

Hi L,

Blogger doesn't allow for editing comments - just deletion. Thought it better to be safe. Your deleted comment was forwarded to me as email - just in case you need the advice back sometime! I hate throwing words away.

I'm hunting for "Four Sections" - haven't listened to any Steve Reich, not directly anyhow. And certainly never heard of Josef Alexander. As I read what you said of him, I found myself thinking of George Gissing, who wrote New Grub Street in 1891. Then there was my Dad's favourite author, W.W.Jacobs - he was born in 1863. Generations have short memories. Arguably the 'new technology' will help, but it in turn may lead to a levelling out, an homogenisation - who knows?

Great to have a few new ideas bouncing around. Much appreciated.

Take care,

O