Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Version

Early on in London, Colin taught
Religious Education in the next room.
I got a kick out of comparing notes
with him and we had many a laugh.

One day he came into my room in middle
of a lesson - later he said how I was
just talking and they were all listening.
By the end of that little chat, I had

offered to do a re-write of The Parable
of the Talents. There is a lot of merit
to the parable - at least it is about
talents, not special needs or targets.


Version

Leh me tell yu 'bout a guy name Lloyd
Dat come from up Wood Green.
He must've been de coolist cyat
Dat I mahn ever seen.

Shoulda seen de clothes he wear,
He was a real smart dresser;
'is clothes an' ting come from Take Six
An' 'is suit- all made-to-measure.

Cho, de time Lloyd tek fe comb 'is locks
- I never see no one so fussy,
But he reckon it was wort' it
If it help him capture.

Didn' tink much of school, yu nah,
He always actin' clown,
De only ting Lloyd want real bad'
Was fe own a real big Sound.

Pretty soon de guy get rich.
He start a club - Four Aces -
It was a real cool place back den,
One of dose Soul an' Reggae places.

Den Lloyd decide it time fe res' up.
Sit back an' mek de breads.
He clean forget 'bout Babylon,
An' Ras - de God of Dreads.

God clap him down dead one day,
Poor Lloyd's head full wid Thunder -
Dat sure one set o' speaker, he thought,
How many watts? I wonder.

"Dyam wutliss fool", roared God,
"Look: Clubs, Money, Fancy Clothes -
I gave yu all a Life Time,
An' yu spend it all on those?"

No comments: