Monday, September 11, 2006

A Poem For 1ML [1975]

I compared notes at the time with Hilary who taught Maths. She was one of the first teachers to introduce computers into the classroom in London. She told me how children - and many adults - on being introduced to a computer for the first time, tended to ask of it, "What's my name?"
I guess the same is often true of creative writing: "Where is my name?" - or at least "Where am I in this?" Or "How does this relate to my world?"


Please sir, can I go out?
I'm sorry that I'm late.
Amanda's hitting Tracy.
No sir, I can't wait.

Give me back my ruler,
I wanna draw a line.
Tony's throwing bubble-gum.
Please sir, what's the time?

I haven't got a pencil
- can I use a marker then?
Joyce won't leave me alone, sir.
Can anyone lend me a pen?

Oh sir, I want a drink,
I think I'm gonna be sick.
How many marks did you get?
Julie Foster's really thick!

Sir, can I've a bit of paper,
like that one that Coral's got?
Can I take off my coat, sir,
it's getting very hot.

Sir, Morris won't stop hitting me.
I've finished question two.
Sharon's kicking Alicos!
Please sir, what can I do?

Fidel's making faces.
Donald's fallen off his chair.
Sir, you didn't put my name in
- that's not really very fair.

Sir?
Sir?
Sir!!!!
Where's sir gone?????

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was that Do Middleton's class?

Oliver said...

Probably...and I should add that there was not a "Julie Foster" in the class....